Saturday, March 6, 2010

Starting the IVF Journey

After my period arrived in full effect on Monday, I called the Dr and scheduled an appt to come in to talk about our options. We had a lot of questions.

How long does the process of IVF take?
What are the steps?
What drugs will I have to take?
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST???????????? (It sucks to not only be stressed about not being pregnant, but to also have to stress about getting thousands of dollars together to MAYBE get preg)
How many eggs are typically produced?
How many of those eggs are viable for ICSI?
How many usually take?
How many should be transfered?
What do we do with the ones that are good, if we don't want to transfer all?
What are the success rates if we transfer 1? 2? 3?
What are the chances of 1 baby? 2 babies? 3 babies? 4 babies? If we transfer 1? 2? or 3?

So she answered all of our questions and the whole thing is a lot less crazy risky than we thought. We felt really good about what she said. We were debating on moving forward or taking a break for a while and letting nature do it's thing. We decided to move forward. I don't really trust nature. I also asked the dr, "Given that I had such a good reaction to this last treatment, could there be something else wrong? Are there more tests or something?" She said YES, there are thousands of other things it could be, but we don't have the knowledge to figure those things out. So, given that lovely little bit of info, I say F nature. We may never get preg by having sex. I can't just sit back and wait. Joe was a little worried about IVF between the drugs and the possible number of eggs, but after of talk with the doc, he felt a lot better. I was mostly already on board, but I wanted us both to be on the same page.

We have the IVF class on March 15 and I'm on the pill right now:( I hate this part. I wish the BCP wasn't part of this process. Even though we were waiting for the next step we could be trying on our own and hoping for a miracle. But being on the pill there's just no chance of getting preg in March. (or April)

I can't believe we are here. If all went according to plan and we got preg in June 2008 we would be planning a first birthday this month:( If I didn't have a miscarraige in Nov of 2008 we would have a 9 month old right now. If, if, if... Why do I do this to myself????? Is it possible to miss someone you never even met?

3 comments:

  1. I never post on people's blogs, but yours spoke to me. Yes, it is possible to miss someone you've never met. I have had two miscarriages and you never truly get over that loss. I'm sorry you lost your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    I'm so sorry for your loss. it is absolutely possible to miss someone you've never met. You will never forget your baby or that pregnancy and you will always mourn for what could have been.

    Best of luck as you start your IVF journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Just saw your blog. Boy, do I relate to it. I also miscarried so YES, it is VERY possible to miss someone you have not met.

    I did IVF and it was successful. I am now 35 weeks along. Dreams do come true.

    If you want to ask me anything or vent or do whatever...write me at ivfgirl@gmail.com.

    I also have a blog. It's at http://www.ivfgirl.com.

    It's very nice to meet you.

    xp B

    ReplyDelete